Thursday 7 May 2015

What's a NINNA?

"What's a Ninna?" I would be asked with a confused expression, throughout my almost 22 years. I would sometimes revert to 'Nana' to just make life easier for myself (because people don't like different). Well, from what I know, "Nin" is a particularly popular term for a grandmother around the Liverpool area, in England.
My Ninna? Well where do I start? My Ninna was probably the centre of my world, aside from my children. She was just me Ninna. I love her, but she's gone. She has gone to live in Heaven, eternal paradise, or wherever you may believe people pass on to.
We have been expecting her to pass on for many years now, from one thing to another, but she just kept bouncing back- she was a real menace. Ninna kept us all on our toes with her quick wit and startling strength, and she never ceased to amaze us when she would smile through the pain. And God, was she in pain! She herself, was a pain. Of course I say it affectionately, as it is honestly a privelege to have known such a resilient lady. She just would never give up. Except she smoked for a lot of her life, until the doctor told her to quit. So she did, just like that, because he said that if she carried on, it would kill her. This was after her angina attack and quadrouple heart bypass, and after my aunty Christine was snipping the cigarettes in two, of the packs she held in her cupboard.Well, my aunty is a nurse, and so you can imagine her disgust when she got yelled at because "someone else could have them"- oops!
I have so many special memories of Ninna. I loved looking through her jewellery boxes, her photographs (especially her wedding ones, she actually looked like the Queen!!! Imo ;) ), and her putting my hair in curlers. Ninna's patience rarely waivered with me, as far as I can remember. After tucking me in at night we would say the Lord's prayer, and bless all of our family (name by name) until I fell asleep- then sometime in the night I would climb into bed with her and kick my legs and grind my teeth, which I'm sure drove her mad, but if it did, she didn't show it.
I remember even earlier days, in which Ninna and Granddad would swing me up in the air, when we walked around the cul-de-sac where they lived in Onchan at the time.
I also remember fondly being in their living room, between them, and Granddad pulling faces behind my back, Ninna would say "Look what he's doing, Lucy!".
On my 2nd birthday, 20th May 1995, when Granddad's beloved Everton won the Cup. My 'Uncle' Stu bought me an Everton football kit and my Granddad paraded me around, singing. My Dad and Stu were at the pub. Granddad passed in 1997, "Goodnight Mr Moon".
I loved going to church with Ninna. Although not very religious myself, I have always been overwhelmed by churches, and felt peace. One time going through her jewellery box I told her that when she dies, I'd like to have her cross and chain (out of the mouths of babes, eh?)- I was horrified when she told me later on lol!
Ninna, meeting my little angel Christopher, who she came from Kendal to see.
 I was lucky to have spent lots of Christmases with her too.
If I was to write all of our memories, we'd be here for days. But Ninna didn't want to go, her body gave up, not her. She was a constant energy, her mind was sharp and she would catch you out with her quips. I'm so proud to call her my Ninna, and we'll always be "best buds". I know I have an angel on my side. I love you xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment